Protect Your Driving Privileges Fight Your Ticket With Bigger & Harman Today


Dealing with an out-of-town traffic ticket on your own, even for CA residents, can be confusing and expensive. That is why nearly 92 percent of ticketed drivers merely pay the fine. However, that is rarely the most cost-efficient method of resolving an out-of-town ticket. This is particularly true when there is a mandatory court appearance.

Out-of-Town Ticket Within the State

CA Counties maintain jurisdiction for traffic tickets, primarily because they want the revenue for their treasury. Therefore, if you have a mandatory court appearance, you or an attorney must make an appearance. In fact, more often than not, you will need to make two appearances, one for the arraignment and another for the trial.

Hiring an attorney will allow you to avoid the expense and inconvenience of traveling back to the courthouse that has jurisdiction of your ticket. So if you received a ticket for speeding 100+ mph while on a ski trip to Mammoth and your ticket will state you must appear at the Bishop Traffic Court in Inyo County.

Residents from the Los Angeles area would have a four-hour drive. You would likely need to go up the night before, get a hotel, and wait half the day in court for your case to come up, only to plead not guilty and set a new date for trial. Unless you have vacation time saved up, you would lose at least two days’ pay. In addition to the $900-2600 fine, two NOTS points, double or tripled auto insurance premiums (if convicted), your driver’s license could be suspended for 30 days. Although the judge might allow you to drive back to LA, that is not a given. Furthermore, you should never represent yourself without first consulting with a traffic ticket attorney.

Out-of-Town Ticket in Another State

Commercial driver’s license (CDL) holders who get a conviction on an out-of-town ticket in another state, even in their private vehicle, must report it to their employer on Form DL 535 within 30 days. What is crucial to remember is you must inform your employer only if convicted. Therefore, CDL holders should challenge every ticket, whether an out-of-town ticket or local. Contact a traffic ticket attorney who regularly practices law in the community where you received the ticket.

An attorney can appear for you in court even when you have a mandatory appearance or are not from California.

Consult with a Traffic Attorney Who Serves Bishop, CA

You won't have to attend a trial when you hire quality representation. Many drivers don’t hire an attorney because they do not want to have to sit in court. We understand that, who would want to spend a day or two in court? Sitting through hours of trials for other drivers, missing work, and losing money when you could just pay the fine.

Consulting with an attorney gives you the information you need to make an informed decision about fighting your ticket. Plus, your representative can ask the tough questions of law enforcement. Remember, the state must prove your guilt, not the other way around. Most often it takes a knowledgeable attorney to ask the right questions to raise a “reasonable doubt” and get your ticket dismissed or reduced.

Bigger & Harman regularly represent clients in Inyo County Traffic Court or allow one of their associates to handle the ticket. Call (661) 349-9300 for a free consultation to determine your options. Se habla Español (661) 349-9755.

Or, for more specific instructions about handling your out-of-town ticket, email We will reply as soon as possible, though we spend most of our working day in traffic court.

You can also read client comments on Avvo, Nolo, and Yelp.

Share To: