Protect Your Driving Privileges Fight Your Ticket With Bigger & Harman Today

undefinedIn California, speeding over 100 mph is a serious offense. In fact, it is a major infraction with many consequences if convicted. The below-cited language is a relevant excerpt from the code for the first offense. The law compounds the fine for the second and third offense and all fines are subject to state and county surcharges.

One of the first things most people ticketed for speeding over 100 mph want to know is, “How much is the fine?” The law authorizes a fine up to $2500 for a conviction on a first offense. Although the traffic code states, “...a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500)”, that is just the base fine.

The CA legislature approved the wording of that section of the vehicle code many years ago. Since then, however, they have supported ten additional surcharges, assessments, and fees. These added surcharges can make the total fine five to seven times the base fine.

But, the real truth is the fine is just the beginning of the financial difficulties a convicted driver will face. If convicted of speeding over 100 mph, a driver will receive two Negligent Operator Treatment System (NOTS) points, which will remain on their motor vehicle driving record (MVR) for seven years. There is no possibility of taking the Traffic Violators School (TVS) to mask the conviction from the public or your insurance company due to the mandatory court appearance.

CA Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 22348, Speed Laws

CVC 22348 paragraph (b) states, “A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction” and “The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days…”

Therefore, if you decide to represent yourself you might hear the judge say, “Guilty, if you have your driver’s license with you, pass it to the bailiff. You will not need it for thirty days. Your driving privileges are hereby suspended. Pay the court clerk the fine.”

If you get ticketed for speeding over 100 mph, you need to consult with an experienced traffic ticket attorney. Many believe they can “throw themselves on the mercy of the court” or get a relative to represent them. Neither of these are a good idea. Unless that relative is an experienced traffic lawyer, they will find it difficult to keep up with the pace of traffic court, and that could be very costly for you.

How Law Enforcement Detects Speeding Over 100 MPH

Police and other law enforcement officers (LEO) use Radar, Lidar (which is the same as Radar using a laser device), and pacing of vehicles to detect drivers speeding over 100 mph. They can use any of these means to obtain conclusive evidence of speeding over 100. The best way to avoid the violation is to control speed and stay at or below the speed limit. If you get ticketed, you should consult with a traffic lawyer because there are technicalities and opportunities for a reduced charge.

The Difference Between Regular Speeding and Speeding Over 100 MPH

California law treats ordinary speeding as a minor infraction, which does not require a mandatory court appearance. In most cases, a person who is charged with speeding 1-25 mph over the limit will get assessed one NOTS point violation if convicted or when they pay the fine, which is the same as a conviction.

Traffic court judges typically do not suspend the license of convicted drivers unless they are repeat offenders. Likewise, drivers convicted of speeding less than 25 mph over the speed limit are eligible for TVS. A judge might approve TVS for drivers convicted of speeding more than 25 mph over the speed limit but less than 100 mph in special circumstances.

As previously stated, speeding over 100 mph is a two-point violation, and a mandated court appearance. The fines are much higher, and the court can suspend the license for 30 days. Offenders may not use traffic school to mask the offense, and they should consult with an attorney.

The Cost of Speeding Over 100 MPH

California law requires insurance. The rates seem high to most California drivers. In fact, the average Californian pays $1960 per year for auto insurance. When convicted of speeding over 100 mph, insurers will raise rates dramatically, usually double or triple. The increase will continue for seven years until the DMV removes the conviction from the drivers MVR. The added cost can easily run into the thousands each year and could total close to $30,000 over the seven-year period.

Legal Representation for Speeding Over 100 MPH

California law requires a court appearance when charged with speeding over 100 mph. The appearance must be in person or by a legal representative. An experienced traffic attorney provides the best opportunity for a favorable outcome. The experienced attorney has familiarity with the judges, the Court officers, and the proceedings. By working with the attorney, a defendant presents the best possible defense to the serious charges and allows for the broadest range of possible decisions by the court.

Traffic Attorneys Who Frequently Assist Clients in Kings County

If you or someone you know has a citation for speeding over 100 mph and has a mandatory appearance in Hanford Traffic Court, then you or they should call Bigger & Harman, (661) 349-9300, today. Anyone familiar with how traffic court operates will tell you to hire a full-time traffic attorney. Even attorneys from other areas of law hire traffic law professionals to handle their own cases because of the heightened pace of operations in a traffic court.

We have handled hundreds of cases for drivers across Central Valley and SoCal for drivers with speeding over 100 mph tickets. We have a solid track record for getting dismissals and reduced charges with 100 mph speeding tickets. Give us a call for a free phone consult. Let us determine if we can work together to get you the best possible outcome.

Not every case is winnable; not every case can get reduced. However, we will always give you our best efforts to ensure you get the best results.

Se habla Español 661.349.9755.

Send an email to


CVC 22348, Speed Laws

The DMV.CA.GOV MVR website

The DMV.CA.GOV NOTS website
Share To: